Dudhi na Muthia, Doodhi Muthia or Lauki Muthia is a traditional healthy Gujarati snack. Being a Gujarati I am sharing the authentic style of cooking Muthia. This one is multigrain; you can make it with addition or removal of any flour. The taste is awesome and it is super healthy as well. I have also made Beetroot Cutlets which are delicious and healthy. Muthias are steamed and not deep fried. So let's begin with the recipe....
Ingredients for Dudhi Muthia /Doodhi na Mutia....
1 small Dudhi/Lauki, peeled (Bottlegourd)
1.5 cups Jowar Flour (Sorghum)
1/2 cup Besan (Chickpeas Flour)
1/4 cup Dhokla Flour ** (5:3:2 Rice, Chana Dal, Urad Dal)
4 Tbsp Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Curd
1 Tsp Sugar
As per taste, Salt
1/4 Tsp Cooking Soda
1 Tsp Chilli Garlic Paste
2 Tsp Oil
1 Tsp Haldi Powder (Turmeric Powder)
1 Tsp Red Chiili Powder
1 Tsp Dhaniya Powder (Coriander Powder)
1 Tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves
- In a big vessel, grate the Dudhi/Lauki.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- With light hands, make a smooth dough. (Do not add water; add only small quantity, if required)
- Take a small portion and make a cylindrical shape to make Muthia.
- Place the Muthias in the steamer.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Once done, let them cool down.
- Cut it into round shapes.
For the tempering::
2 Tbsp Oil
1 Tsp Rai (Mustard Seeds)
1/2 Tsp Heeng (Asafoetida)
2-3 Slit green chillies and curry leaves
1 Tsp Til (Sesame Seeds)